If you can spare a Saturday to help farmed animals alongside like-minded people, this is for you! While volunteering can be dirty work, it greatly assists us in keeping our animals safe, happy, and healthy.
While we incorporate a brief tour throughout the day, if you’d rather meet and interact with the animals, please sign up for a tour.
What a Day Looks Like
- 8:15am – Arrive at Edgar’s Mission
- 8.30am – Induction and safety briefing
- 8:45am – Sanctuary tasks – these change each week and can include mucking out shelters, raking, weeding, painting, etc.
- 12:00pm – Lunch break
- 12:45pm – Further sanctuary tasks
- 2.30 pm – Conclude your day
Helping Hands Volunteer Requirements
- Participants must be 18 years and over. For safety reasons, 15- to 17-year-olds must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- A level of fitness and mobility to be able to complete tasks involving bending and lifting
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Willingness to work quietly to create a peaceful environment for our residents
- Comfortable around animals of all sizes, including chickens, goats, and pigs
- For biosecurity reasons, we are unable to accept volunteers who have visited a factory/intensive farm in the week prior to their intended volunteering date.
Out of respect for our animal residents, we request that no animal products make their way onto the sanctuary grounds via your lunch box (this includes meat, dairy and eggs). Also, please do not bring any avocado to the sanctuary as it is deadly toxic to our birds. Thank you.
Please read our Help Centre regarding common virus is and how we are minimising the risk.
To book your spot, please complete the form below. Once confirmed, you will receive an email with further details. We look forward to meeting you!
To keep our animals safe from disease, please follow these important biosecurity measures:
- If you have been overseas, please do not visit the sanctuary for 7 days after your return as per the Victorian Government directive. Please contact us if you have booked a visit and this applies to you.
- Please ensure your footwear, clothing and equipment is free of any mud, animal manure or other contaminants before visiting.
- It is essential upon arrival at Edgar’s Mission, that you step on the foot bath at the entrance to ensure your shoes are clean.
Thank you in anticipation of your kindness and cooperation. Please remember that biosecurity is EVERYONE’S responsibility.